travel cross-border by moto

You in? You thinking about being in? Post an intro about yourself or your team.

travel cross-border by moto

Postby George » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:26 am

Dean and Dave, youse guys have the experience, maybe you can offer more advice. What I'm reading so far makes buying the bike in Thai impractical. Registration is time consuming, and border crossings are troublesome. How does purchasing in Cam compare? Did any of last year's participants cross any borders on their temporary bikes?

Given we have the time, I would really like to hit some 'Nam, even China Beach. Travel in 'Nam sound do-able if we can get bikes in and out again. Same with Laos.

Any thoughts on this much appreciated. I know youse guys did it with your own bikes but this seems a little different.
George

To live life well don't be a dick

George Catt
(sometimes in) Kingman, Arizona
George

Re: travel cross-border by moto

Postby dean » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:24 am

George,
buying in Cambo is really easy, you find a bike, give them money, they give you an invoice, you both put your fingerprint on it (no kidding) and you get the ownership card. Selling is the same, 10min process.

However... this is not a "formal" change of ownership, which needs to be done somewhere more official, and takes time and money, but the invoice with stamp is enough for r4c. In terms of crossing a border though - i don't know if it would be enough, probably depends on the official you get on the day.

If your paperwork is in order (i.e. ownership card with your name on it), crossing from thai/laos/cambo is really straightforward. no planning needed, just get to the border and do the temporary import forms. it's not hard. both dave and i have done these borders multiple times on our own bikes. I even skipped in and out of laos without declaring the bike at all!

Vietnam is notoriously difficult to get into or out of on a bigger bike, but i dont know about the little ones. No one crossed any borders last year.

You might also consider renting in Vietnam. I rode much of northern vietnam on a newish honda 125cc scooter this year for $8/day including panniers (2 up!). Much nicer ride than the Dailem too, and you'll need the extra power in the mountains and highways of vietnam.

hope this helps.

Dean
dean

Postby George » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:59 pm

Thanks for the info, Dean. We SToners are talking rent for the multiple countries (tho the one site said buying a cheap used Russian bike in 'Nam is a viable alternative. Take only our bodies 'cross the borders and pick up a bike for in-country use only. If such is the simple solution, I'm in. (Also posting some additional info on the General thread.)
George

George Catt
George

Postby dean » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:16 am

george,
that's certainly the simple option, although for cambo it might be cheaper to buy and resell, also a bit of fun but that's your call. i looked at buying or renting in Nam earlier in the year, and yes you can buy a mynsk, or a number of old hondas too. i decided to rent a newer honda for $7 a day including panniers and was really happy with how it went. i'll tell more in cambo, but all the options are there, and you dont really need to make your mind up either way until you get there.
cheers,
dean
dean

Postby George » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:45 am

For $7/day, I'll do it that way.

The one article about buying in Malaysia sure looked good but have to save that for another time.
George

George Catt
George

Return to Introductions