raven checking in from Arizona!

You in? You thinking about being in? Post an intro about yourself or your team.

raven checking in from Arizona!

Postby raven » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:10 pm

Hey guys -

Well, I'm on board for this. Looking at flights but haven't quite decided whether to fly into Bangkok or Phnom Penh. Either way looking forward to the chaos!

glaciersmall.png
raven in alaska
glaciersmall.png (120.23 KiB) Viewed 5822 times
raven

Re: raven checking in from Arizona!

Postby George » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:59 pm

Dace, how much time will you have? We gotta be in PP on... oh, 19 or 20. If Joe, Danny, and I were to take the bus or buy bikes in Thai, we'll need at least 2-3 days to transit.
George

To live life well don't be a dick

George Catt
(sometimes in) Kingman, Arizona
George

Postby olegeezer » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:04 am

Dace, or do you prefer Raven?, if you fly into BKK you would have a welcoming committee waiting for you! :mrgreen:
olegeezer

Postby raven » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:26 am

Hey guys,

I could head over a week ahead. It looks like it will take between two or three days to fly over. I could easily make it into BKK Tuesday evening (1/15) which would give time to either bike or bus to PP.

I'm also looking at flying into BKK on the way out but flying back from PP. Main thing is money. RT from Tucson to BKK is $860. RT from Tucson to PP is $1200. Tucson to BKK then PP to Tucson is $1250.

I guess my only question would be getting back to BKK afterwards if I choose the BKK round trip. What are you guys planning for that?
raven

Postby olegeezer » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:27 am

This plan is evolving slowly. Danny has an idea of going into Vietnam. Ho Chi Minh City is only 300km from PP. If we go into Vietnam it would be easier (I think?) if that happened after PP. It's 670km from BKK to PP per Google maps. I do believe we are all flexible and everyone has ideas on what would be fun to do while there.
olegeezer

Postby George » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:45 am

Folks, do we need to pick a "primary" post site? Posting here keeps the Cam Crew in the loop; poSTing at ST-Owners is just entertainment for d'ose guys. Waddya think?

Dace, I'm in favor of the Four Musketeers meeting in BKK, buying bikes, riding together as long as we can: To PP and beyond. Since yur the short timer, if we split after PP you could just ride back to BKK and "sell" yur bike to the highest bidder then home. The three remaining would continue then also return to BKK. (I like the idea of heading to HoChiMin City and looping around back thru Laos if possible.)

On the bike size question, the Viet Horse youtubes (Google it) contain all kinds of bikes up to Gold Wings. Of course, those guys are natives. They do ride across borders tho so it's not totally impossible. (Waiting impatiently for the day S.E.A. becomes Euro-ized.)

Logistics can be a bitch, but it's a plan. Now to modify it. :D

Have no clue the process to sell a Thai bike in Cam. Maybe just donate the physical bike and let SC worry 'bout it. :D
George

To live life well don't be a dick

George Catt
(sometimes in) Kingman, Arizona
George

Postby raven » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:31 pm

Well, I'm kind of easy on time (up to a month including getting there and back) but don't have a lot of extra money - so that's kind of the decider for me.

A friend of mine recently traveled from Thailand to Cambodia and suggested getting the Cambodian visa in advance because when they tried to buy their visa at the border they got the shake down. Instead of being $25 they were pulled aside and told it was more bc they were Westerners (tried to double it on them) so, apparently, getting the visa at the border crossing isn't quite as formalized as it might be. Just a thought on that.

Vietnam and Laos sound great - it would just depend on timing and cost for me. Too bad they don't have the open ended round trips like they used to bc that would make planning so much easier!

(EDIT: The more I'm looking, the more I'm leaning towards Bangkok bc I'd have a 12 hour layover in Beijing - just need a Chinese visa.....)
raven

Postby olegeezer » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:24 pm

On the money, the way it works for me, after I get that expensive plane ticket, I can usually live as cheaply abroad as I can at home. I understand food and lodging will be very inexpensive there. Sharing lodging with a group will make it even less. One way I save money when I travel for longer periods, I cancel services at home that I won't be using since I live alone. My cable, cell phone, even vehicle insurance gets cancelled or put on vacation status but thats because I live alone. With just a few phone calls before I leave will save me at least $500 on this trip. I've been working out bike swaps lately and that saves me on transportation costs but thats a time consuming process that has been arranged far in advance. I'm pretty sure you'll at least be traveling with a bunch of penny pinchers here too!!
olegeezer

Postby dean » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:46 am

hi raven,
welcome to the chaos that is r4c.

i just flicked through this thread and see you guys are keen to ride from bkk to PP - make sure you leave yourselves enough time to do this, travel on the scoots is really slow. Also would advise you check out the southern route along the coast, using the smaller border crossing at koh khong. the roads are in good condition and less trafficked (is that a word?).

anyway, enjoy the ride over, hopefully you arent sick of the scoots by the time you arrive!

dean.
dean

Return to Introductions