I know nothing...

Is using a GPS easy for you? Answer questions for the rest of us.

I know nothing...

Postby George » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:46 pm

...about GPS and/or map packs but assume a GPS will be handy over there. Thinking about getting a Garmin Nuvi 50 ($120). The full map set for SEA lists at $90, wondering if we can get a map set over there easy 'n cheap.

Dave, what are the "free OMS" maps you mentioned in the other note.
George

To live life well don't be a dick

George Catt
(sometimes in) Kingman, Arizona
George

Re: I know nothing...

Postby Nata Harli » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:54 pm

George wrote:...about GPS and/or map packs but assume a GPS will be handy over there. Thinking about getting a Garmin Nuvi 50 ($120). The full map set for SEA lists at $90, wondering if we can get a map set over there easy 'n cheap.

Dave, what are the "free OMS" maps you mentioned in the other note.

George,

I just checked Garmin's web site to see what their "SE Asia NT" GPS maps cover and it looks pretty limited to me. Doesn't appear to even include Cambodia and Thailand doesn't include details in bigger cities like some other countries do. I'd be real hesitant to get it.

There seem to be several country specific GPS maps available that look like they are a lot better than Garmin offers. Each country is about $30 which is pretty good. Or, check this site out: http://rotweilermaps.com/maps.cfm. Thailand was just updated last month and Cambodia was updated several months ago. $50 will get you all of the maps. The Thai map seems quite comprehensive from their description. I'm concerned about the size of the Cambodia map, though. But, if you go here: http://cambodia-gps.com/index.cfm their map, from their description, seems to be pretty comprehensive.

I'm going to probably buy a Thai and a Cambodia map before I leave. I'm going to do some more research and I'll let you know what I find.

BTW, I'm going to bring a couple of GPSs with me along with the mounts. I will have to hardwire them into the battery which shouldn't be too much of a problem. They both come off easily so I can carry them or store them when not on the bike. I will also pick up some paper maps when I get there to carry with me and supplement the GPS maps.

Ken
Nata Harli

GPS - all you need is...

Postby dean » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:24 am

Hi Folks,
any garmin brand gps will work just fine. If i didnt already have one, i'd buy the cheapest one they make, along with a suction cup mount (which attaches directly to the dash of the scooter, along with some string or fishing line in case the suction comes loose), and a 12v charger.

if you dont want to buy a GPS, but you have a smart phone, (Android), there is an app called OSMAnd for free download. Install it and download the map for cambodia (which is the OSM cambodian map, the same as the one we put on the GPS.) I have this installed on my samsung phone and it works fine. You'll want a 12v charger for your phone here too.

In PP a local mechanic will wire in the charger for 50c, so dont bother trying to do it yourself.

The OSM maps are a community based mapping project where people (like us!!) who travel to strange places with a gps, record their tracks and upload them to a database. Then anyone can download a map for free to use on a Garmin device, or Android smart phone.

Many of the OSM tracks for cambodia are from r4c 2012, along with some others that DaveG and I rode in 2010. The OSM map for cambo is the best one currently available. Forget the garmin map, it's junk (i used it in 2010 next to Dave who had the OSM map, the garmin map has only the highways, and most of them were wrong).

Google maps is also pretty good, but you need to have a good connection to use it (unless you can do this offline nowdays?), so when we leave the cities it's not very helpful. I think Gary from the US used this last year with some success though.
dean

Postby digiamo » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:43 am

I just downloaded https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... 9zbWFuZCJd to my Sammy GS3 Droid. Then I grabbed the maps for Thai, Cam, Laos and Myanmar.
I shut all data and cell functions off on the phone to simulate "lost in the back hills" and it looks like I have truly off line mapping on the phone.
No need to have a cell or WiFi connection to have a functional GPS system on my phone.

Now that the last of my midnight oil is burning dimly, I can sleep knowing my GPS issues are solved ... at least for now.
I'll get to play with this more on the 'morrow.

Then I can focus on a translator app. :)
digiamo

Postby digiamo » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:40 pm

In the spirit of "I know nothing" I am curious about the GPS mount as seen on the third from the last opening pic in the series at rideforcambodia.com. The bike on the left has it affixed somehow and judging by the cleanliness of the bikes and riders, they are just starting out. I can't figure how it's mounted and why don't I see that GPS in any other picture? :roll: ;) :? :roll:

I'm thinking it's on the base of the mirror but that base looks a bit tapered in the wrong direction. I might try heavy duty zip ties with a bar clamp on the left rubber grip, but without the u-bolts because of the extra thickness.

Any input is encouraged ...and thanks. :D
digiamo

GPSs

Postby Nata Harli » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:42 pm

I'm bringing 2 GPSs with me: 60CSx and a Montana. I'm also bringing the Ram mounts and the wiring. I plan on mounting the Montana on my scoot and the 60CSx will be available for someone else to use.

So far I don't have maps for either. I bought some SE Asia maps from Rotweiler but can't seem to get them loaded on the Montana. Haven't tried to load them on the 60 yet.
Nata Harli

Postby George » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:13 pm

OSMAND seems to work, and the maps looks good. I have Cambodia, Thailand, Laos, and USA Arizona (mostly for testing.) One thing I read sez the "routing" on this app will only reach out <300KM but that should be good enuff. Also downloaded the OSM "world overview" map so should be good to go. This is all on my Samsung Tab 2 7". Locke the screen to portrait, plug it in, and seems to work fine. No "track" as such, just an arrow which points toward the destination. Intermediate way points are allowed to.

In addition, my I-phone 3 still has Google mapping which seems to work a charm, and it routes Bangkok to Ching Mia just fine, long as I have a WiFi signal and it then keeps it for off-line routing.

The tangle of charger cords might get interesting. :D
George

To live life well don't be a dick

George Catt
(sometimes in) Kingman, Arizona
George

Postby dean » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:22 am

in response to digiamo asking about the gps mount, that was mine...

it's a RAM mount, coupled to an AMPS rugged mount for my Garmin Montana 650 gps. All great products. It was mounted to the mirror arm (with the u shackle on the RAM mount, usually bolted to the handlebars of my ktm950), which shakes like hell sometimes, but is otherwise fine. That setup will set you back about $700 but is totally unnecessary for R4C.

For those planning to use a smart phone, i'd suggest you bring a spare 12v charger (in case one breaks or gets wet) along with some sos tape to wrap the charger with. I dont know what mounts are available for the phones, just remember the bikes shake so hard your fillings will fall out, so something pretty strong is needed. Otherwise leave it in your pocket, and just pull it out when needed. Not so great in the traffic of PP, but will be ok once out of the city.

hope that helps...

1 month, 2 days to go...

but who's counting :)
dean

Postby dean » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:26 am

a decent option might be the google nexus 7 android tab, very cheap, and a good way to stay in touch too, bigger screen than a phone will make routing and seeing the map much easier too...
dean

Return to GPS