Chiang Mai?

If you don't know where to post it, try here!

Chiang Mai?

Postby Nata Harli » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:24 pm

I've heard a lot of good things about Chiang Mai. I've also read about a lot of good roads to ride in the area while reading the Rideasia.net forums.

Seems like there are some decent places to rent a bike there and I've found a lot of places to stay that are pretty reasonable.

So, I'm thinking of spending a week or two there before heading to PP.

Anyone else thinking of spending time there before or after PP? Also, has anyone spent any time there in the past?
Nata Harli

Re: Chiang Mai?

Postby George » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:23 pm

At least three of us are meeting in Bangkok before heading to Cambodia. Chiang Mai hasn't come up in our discussions but looks promising for after Cam.
George

To live life well don't be a dick

George Catt
(sometimes in) Kingman, Arizona
George

Postby Nata Harli » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:54 pm

George wrote:At least three of us are meeting in Bangkok before heading to Cambodia. Chiang Mai hasn't come up in our discussions but looks promising for after Cam.

From the looks of it I will probably fly into and out of Bangkok. It's about $3-400 cheaper than PP. I'm thinking of taking a bus to PP. looks to be about $20 each way.

I could certainly do Chiang Mai after the ride instead of before. My thinking is that after spending the money and time for a flight I want to do some exploring instead of just doing the R4C. Before or after works. I've heard good things about Chiang Mai and the Rideasia.net site has some ride reports that make it look like a great area to ride or just hang out.

How are you guys planning on getting from Bk to PP? Fly or bus? How long are you going to be in Bk before heading to PP? Maybe I can meet up with you to go to PP.
Nata Harli

Postby George » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:12 am

Danny and Larry are arriving a couple days earlier but I'm arriving 1-15 to hook up with them. Plan to head over to PP soon after to meet up with the R4C crew. After that, we've a pretty open itinerary. I'm basically a follower so will go with the flow. Larry has an idea to rent a sail boat for a few days. We'd also like to rent bikes in Thai and some broader areas. If Chiang Mai is a worth while destination, I'm willing to follow along.

We haven't (far as I know) made a firm decision on how to get from BKK to PP, but bus sounds better to me than flying over.
George

George Catt
George

Postby olegeezer » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:01 pm

Nata, when do you arrive in BKK? Danny and I come in on Jan9. So, we have a few days to get acclimated in BKK and may rent a bike early for transportation.
The thought of taking a bus to PP is fine with me. I have also heard good things about Chiang Mai and that renting motos there is good. Danny and I are going to be there for three months so I believe we have flexibility about how we schedule side trips. I have been advised to not go over there with a rigid plan and just do what you decide after getting there. I am interested at some point, as George mentioned, of renting a sailboat for a few days and just rent the size boat that fits the number who want to go and share cost.
Olegeezer, or Larry Joe, but most just call me Joe
olegeezer

Postby Nata Harli » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:37 pm

olegeezer wrote:Nata, when do you arrive in BKK? Danny and I come in on Jan9. So, we have a few days to get acclimated in BKK and may rent a bike early for transportation.
The thought of taking a bus to PP is fine with me. I have also heard good things about Chiang Mai and that renting motos there is good. Danny and I are going to be there for three months so I believe we have flexibility about how we schedule side trips. I have been advised to not go over there with a rigid plan and just do what you decide after getting there. I am interested at some point, as George mentioned, of renting a sailboat for a few days and just rent the size boat that fits the number who want to go and share cost.
Olegeezer, or Larry Joe, but most just call me Joe

Danny, Larry, George, & Joe (did I get it right?),

I'm at 99% right now. Just have to work out arrangements to get my animals (2 dogs & 1 cat) taken care of, but that's always worked out in the past.

I will be arriving with at least one friend, Marco. It's possible another friend, George E. (another one!), will also be coming with me. Marco is young and still working so he'll just be doing the R4C then probably be heading home. I haven't heard back from George E. but he's an old fart like me and if he can make it is likely to want to stay and do some exploring.

I'm trying to coordinate flights with Marco, George and myself so we can all arrive in Bankok about the same time. Maybe we'll all be on the same flight. We'll probably arrive sometime around the 13th - 15th. If we travel by bus to PP that would make 7 of us travelling together. We probably should just rent a well-stocked bus for the 7 of us and travel in style! :D

George E. and I are adventurers and will probably be up for anything all of you are including the sailboat. Marco would be, but being a youngster, he has to get back to work.

I think I mentioned before but Marco and I are looking at renting slightly larger bikes than the 100cc scooters the rest of you will be riding. I'm trying not to aggravate some back problems that just cropped up on my last trip and Marco is wanting to stay off of the worst roads. I'm fine with gravel and well packed dirt. Marco and I will just try and meet up with everyone in the evening if we take a different route. George E. is just plain crazy so he'll be up for anything that comes his way.

If you guys can just let me know where you'll be staying in BK, George, Marco and I will just head there when we get in. Once I get things coordinated I'll have a definite date when we'll be arriving and will let you all know.

Looking forward to meeting all of you and having a great time together!!!!!
Nata Harli

Postby olegeezer » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:05 am

Nata Harli wrote:Danny, George, & Joe (did I get it right?)
Close enough! One more STOwners coming(Raven) as far as we know.

I think I mentioned before but Marco and I are looking at renting slightly larger bikes than the 100cc scooters the rest of you will be riding. I'm trying not to aggravate some back problems that just cropped up on my last trip and Marco is wanting to stay off of the worst roads. I'm fine with gravel and well packed dirt. Marco and I will just try and meet up with everyone in the evening if we take a different route. George E. is just plain crazy so he'll be up for anything that comes his way.

If you guys can just let me know where you'll be staying in BK, George, Marco and I will just head there when we get in. Once I get things coordinated I'll have a definite date when we'll be arriving and will let you all know.

Looking forward to meeting all of you and having a great time together!!!!!

I will be looking for a larger say, minimum 250cc bike , the small scooter will most likely be only for the RFC tour. I looked at a rental place in Chiang Mai and you can get a 650ER6N for $39/day or a KLX250 for $32/day. After reading a ride report with pics of the roads in Thailand, I think the roads looked good and would justify a more roady bike. The nice thing about renting is you can up or downgrade anytime you wish. We will let you know our lodging info for BKK and organize a meeting before we go to PP (on the bus?). Call me if you would like to discuss and we could swap email addresses. (304-573-7983)
Joe
olegeezer

Postby George » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:56 am

Just got this from Maren concerning Ching Mai:

"Rider's corner is in Chiang Mai. That's where I base out of and have since 1983.... www.riderscorner.net
Phil and his Thai wife, Som.
Chiang Mai is a big city- 600,000. but in an hour you can be out on great little country roads in the mountains. Same for off-road.
It's about $20. a day to rent bikes. CB400s or 750s for road, or KLX250's or equivalent for off road. For running around town, rent a Honda "Dream" 125cc step through for $3-4. a day...
something like 10,000 expats live in and around Chiang Mai so there are all kinds of services for gringoes.
I usually go to Thailand in mid Feb-- depends some on when is Chinese New Year . ( avoid that)"
maren
George

George Catt
George

Postby olegeezer » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:30 am

Shes on it isn't she George? Good info. Thanks.
olegeezer

Postby daveg » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:20 am

Dean and I know riders corner very well. We've both stayed there. I did their website originally :).

Phil is a great resource for riding and is prolific with posting info about riding in the area. It it one of the best areas to visit in Thailand if you're not into beaches. I love the ocean, hate the sand, so I'm either on a boat or in the mountains if I have the choice.

I have a blog post from my trip last year that was based out of CHiang mai: http://www.davegtravels.com/2011/02/doe ... ank-float/

Lots of good offroad riding up there. Some amazing road riding, just don't expect roads and traffic rules like the USA.
daveg

Next

Return to General