Shots? Any good sources?

If you don't know where to post it, try here!

Shots? Any good sources?

Postby raven » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:52 pm

Having a bit of sticker-shock looking at suggested immunizations. Here in the US it looks to be about $500 (not counting rabies).

Anyone have any good leads on getting the immunizations for a reasonable amount?

Anyone "risking" it?
raven

Re: Shots? Any good sources?

Postby GaryS » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:29 am

Last year I skipped rabies and Japanese encephalitis. I bought the doxy in the states - bad move. Paid nearly ten times the price I should have. The only thing that was good about getting it in advance was that I could start the recommended 2 days before I got to Cambodia. I will definitely wait this year.

Hepatitis and tetanus you should be able to get at any general practitioner. What country are you in?

My shots and meds ended up nearly $500 last year. This year I will do it much more cheaply. The other prescription I took with me was Cipro for travelers diarrhea. No clue if it is available cheaply in Cambo but would imagine so. I still have the full set from last year so if I can't find it there I will at least have last year's stale antibiotics.

Anybody looked for cipro in Cambodia? The other reason I might not bother is because nobody had any issues last year and we were eating everything and drinking everything including tap water.
GaryS

Postby dean » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:04 am

yep the pharmacies in PP are really well stocked. cipro is a good idea, i'll be taking bags of it after my experience in peru - handy stuff to have around.

rabies - optional, you have to get to a hospital either way if bitten, just with the shots you only need a booster rather than a course of shots. Not many wild animals around, but some dogs. no one had a problem last year, and i think most short term travellers to cambo do not bother with rabies shots.

tetanus, hep a b, typhoid. they're the really important ones imo.

buy your doxy in PP or BKK for much less than in the US and Aust. Not so important for PP, more the rural areas, so the 2 days before bit isn't such a problem.
dean

Postby George » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:31 am

Read today there about 21,000 cases of Hep world wide every year, out of a population of 7B, that's a pretty low percentage.
George

To live life well don't be a dick

George Catt
(sometimes in) Kingman, Arizona
George

Return to General