Route Info

If you don't know where to post it, try here!

Route Info

Postby daveg » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:03 am

I've talked to some locals and I think I have a good idea of the timeline and route. This is the absolute most optimistic version of what we could accomplish in 14 days of hard core scooting.

Day 1: PP Buy and outfit bikes
Day 2: Sihanoukville
Day 3: Koh Kong
Day 4: Ou Saom
Day 5: Pursat
Day 6: Pursat
Day 7: Siem Reap
Day 8: Siem Reap
Day 9: Preah Vihear
Day 10: Stung Treng
Day 11:Ban Lung
Day 12: Senmonorom
Day 13:Kampong Cham
Day 14: Phnom Penh

There are tons of ways to shorten the route if we end up slow. Honestly, I'll be blown away if we can keep this schedule, but lets give it a go!
daveg

Re: Route Info

Postby GaryS » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:13 am

I thought there was going to be 2 groups officially this year... easy and crazy. Or to put it in terms of the prototype routes, the Rogers and Daelim Abusers...
GaryS

Postby dean » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:54 am

hey gary, yes i think we are probably going to be in smaller groups, including one mental group (250+km/day) and one much more reasonable group (100km/day). then maybe another one in between...

after last year what sort of trip are you planning this time around??

I'm looking for some more trails with sat imagery again, should be lots of fun!
dean

Postby George » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:28 am

I'm fur sur putting knobbies on mine. I'm generally a "middle group" kind'a guy but will join the go-fast gang occasionally as well. So far, the ST-Owners looks like 5 strong, all with experience in adventorous endeavors. :D
George

To live life well don't be a dick

George Catt
(sometimes in) Kingman, Arizona
George

Postby Nata Harli » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:02 pm

Is the route the same this year as the one shown in the 1st post?
Nata Harli

Postby daveg » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:30 am

We don't have any official routes.. that was the route that we took last year. My guess is that we will have two or 3 different groups riding together this year doing very different amount of miles/stops per day. Last year we rode very hard (but still took breaks). My guess is that most of that group is going to ride even harder this year :lol:

I'm going to try to take a bit easier this year. I'm on vacation!
daveg

Postby George » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:20 pm

What do youse guys use for GPS? I'm looking at a hand-held Garmin with world base map, should provide enuff detail. The add on Garmin far-east map set I looked at didn't even include Cambodia.
George

To live life well don't be a dick

George Catt
(sometimes in) Kingman, Arizona
George

Postby dean » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:04 am

hi george, any garmin gps will work fine, make sure you get a 12v car charger for it, and one of the local mechanics will wire it into the scooter for you so you can keep it charged while riding.

there is a free osm map for download on the r4c website, if you know how to put this on an sd card then go ahead, otherwise someone will help you do it in pp. dont bother with the garmin map. it's junk.

You can also load the free osm map onto any android based smart phone and use it in offline mode. i did this last week and it works great. not quite as easy to use as a real gps, but if you already have a smartphone then it's free :) The app is called OSMAnd
dean

Return to General