Immunisations

If you don't know where to post it, try here!

Immunisations

Postby dean » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:18 am

if you go to a travel doctor they will tell you that you need a whole bunch of shots, including rabies and malaria medications. I just wanted to alert people to a few things...

Rabies:
is expensive to get immunised against in Australia (several hundred dollars), but it is lifetime. In Cambo there arent many wild animals, but there are dogs.

Whether you are immunised or not, if you do get bitten you will still need to get to a hosptial and get a shot ASAP. (rabies is fatal in 100% of people)

If you're not immunised though, you will then need to get a series of five injections, on days 0, 3, 7, 14 and 28 (according to my TMVC booklet). So this would probably be the end of your trip as there arent many hospitals in Cambodia so you'd need to stay in PP or go to BKK or home. Keep this in mind if you decide not to get the shots, and stay clear of animals.

If you are getting rabies shots, you NEED TO START NOW as it's a course of 3 injections on days 0, 7 and 28 (or similar). Dont leave it until a week before you leave as it will be too late. Same goes for some other immunisations so get onto it.

Malaria:
there are a few different preventative antibiotics for Malaria, in my experience of asking LOTS of travellers, especially in Africa where it's rampant, Doxycycline is regarded as the best, with almost no side effects. I have never met someone or even heard about someone who caught malaria while on doxycycline. They are much more expensive to buy in Australia than in Asia, so i'll try to just buy one weeks worth before leaving and get the rest in Bangkok (easy to find - all the pharmacies will keep them). You will need about 30 pills for this trip.

I'll take doxycycline because i've used them before with no side effects at all, they're cheap in BKK and it's one less thing to worry about.

Travellers Diarrhoea - not a bad idea if you dont have a bullet proof gut, but having said that i didnt meet anyone in Cambodia who had food poisining.

that's just my two cents worth...
dean

Re: Immunisations

Postby dean » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:22 am

on further thought, you could prob get all your malarials in BKK, and start taking them there. travel doc may tell you that you need to start 2 weeks before getting there, but this seems to differ depending on where you live in the world. In the TMVC booklet i have it says 2 days before arriving, so a day in BKK and a day in PP could be your 2 days.

that's what i'll do anyway...

re the rest of your shots - ask your doctor.
dean

Postby GaryS » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:27 am

I am also doing doxywhatever and am bringing cipro for the runs. I tried to go to a general practitioner for my shots but they referred me to a travel clinic that was expensive but well informed - they also said start doxywhatever 2 days before and keep on it for a couple weeks afterward.

After reviewing all of the recommendations, I got immunized for teatnus, hepatitis and typhoid. As I understand it you can't get a complete rabies vaccination, but you can minimize your number of necessary shots with the vaccine - I just skipped it since it wasn't total immunity. The only othert thing I skipped was the vaccination for Japanese encephalitis - it was cost prohibitive. One more round for hepatitis next week and I will be done.

Sorry for typos - posting from a phone :)
GaryS

Postby George » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:23 am

Got the recommendations from my local health department: Tetanus and diphtheria (combined) = $97, Typhoid = $266. (Ouch!) I'll pick up the anti-malaria when I get to BKK (1-14).
George

To live life well don't be a dick

George Catt
(sometimes in) Kingman, Arizona
George

Postby digiamo » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:16 pm

So I got my tetanus shot today. That leaves me to get any other immunities I might be wanting until I get to BKK where they are cheaper. They will probably be the oral types.
digiamo

Postby George » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:33 am

George

George Catt
George

Postby George » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:43 am

Got response from Queen Saovabha Memorial Institute in Bangkok. We can get Typhoid immunization there. Look for Queen Saovabha Memorial Institute The Thai Red Cross Society.
http://www.saovabha.com/en/
George

George Catt
George

Postby George » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:50 am

Danny and Larry Joe got immunizations at Queen Saovabha Memorial Institute in Bangkok yesterday (Thursday, 1-10-13) for ~$50 US. I'll do the same on Wednesday.
George

George Catt
George

Postby raven » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:42 am

Me, too!
:)
raven

Postby Nata Harli » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:07 pm

George wrote:Danny and Larry Joe got immunizations at Queen Saovabha Memorial Institute in Bangkok yesterday (Thursday, 1-10-13) for ~$50 US. I'll do the same on Wednesday.

Do you know if they got the rabies vaccine? That was the only one not covered by my plan and would have cost me $300. Definitely would have been another budget buster for me so I didn't get it.
Nata Harli

Return to General